Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Night Out at : GARY's OYSTER BAR & SEAFOOD HOUSE!


Kevin and Maureen decided we must get real Florida culture so they took us to eat alligator, oysters, frog legs and much more. Below are the pictures of our wonderful evening out (Saturday Jan. 19th) and the pictures include all of our looks of fear and joy towards the food we were eating...
The look of the sign gives the feeling of what kind of place it is. It was very fun and yet totally southern style! Maureen knows all the right places in Lakeland!

Kevin and his host daughters - One lucky man! 

Love those laughing candid shots! 

Preparing to eat alligator... not this one, real fried alligator tail. haha
So raw oysters were the first to be taste tested... I officially ate 3. First I tried it
with a cracker  and sauce, then a cracker and no sauce and finally...


I tried slurping it from the shell. Wasn't sure how I felt
about it at the time as you can see by my facial expression.

Deciding how I feel - not exactly enjoying the texture,
and not sure if I would call it my favorite food but...

It is not the worst thing I have ever eaten either! I am so glad I tried
it because now I know that I probably won't choose to order raw oysters :)



   
                     One side of the table enjoying the deliciously fried seafood!

And ok yeah, the other side is enjoying the food as well :)

Our last taste test... frog legs :( YIKES!

Amilee and I were quite fearful when we realized the frog's little butts were also fried, but we ventured on... and then...
...and we ate those frogs legs just like you eat a chicken drumstick - tasty you may ask? Well, we decided it was not horrible, but it was not the best either. It tasted like very watery or bland chicken. But hey we did it right? That is what counts! We were out of our comfort zones and in our challenge zones. And as we have learned already from being here in Up with People, you don't grow unless you are in your challenge zone!
Empty plates at the end of the evening a good sign right? The alligator tail ended up being my favorite. Of course the scallops, conch fritters, shrimp, and catfish were also delicious. So thanks to my fabulous host parents, Kevin and Maureen my food horizons and many other horizons as well are being expanded each and everyday! I am so grateful for this wonderful opportunity and I feel so blessed to be surrounded by such lovely people!

CHEERS until next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment