Thursday, November 21, 2013

Week #40 - Roskilde, Denmark


“Follow the cobble stone road, follow the cobble stone road, follow, follow, follow, follow the cobblestone road! “  That is how I feel now that we have arrived in beautiful Denmark!
It is so crisp and fresh here in Europe and it is the exact breath of fresh air that our cast needed after our fun and exhausting tour in Mexico. To fly from the Americas over to the lovely continent of Europe, we ended up flying in 3 different flight groups, which we called “ the great migration!” By the time we all flew over the big pond we were reunited on Wednesday morning in Roskilde Denmark. My flight group was all U.S. passport holders and we had driven to the Mexican border in Nogales and walked across it with our suitcases.  Next we got on another bus to head to the Phoenix airport for a flight to London and then eventually onward to Roskilde Denmark where we all became Cast B together again!
            Meeting my first Danish host family was wonderful and their house was so welcoming and cozy. I have had an incredible week. My roommate this week is Mie from Italy and it has been a joy getting to know her as well. Throughout the week we enjoyed cozy dinners and great discussions and on host family day we took a 15 min train ride to Copenhagen. Here we were able to sight see, enjoy typical Christmas Danish drinks and food and enjoyed the Christmas lights that decorated the city of Copenhagen. After some shopping, eating, talking, sight seeing, and yes even roller coaster riding, we made our way home to our last dinner with candles and wonderful company!
            In UWP it was a shorter week considering we were not all together until Wednesday morning. When we were back together we had an internal day where we had rehearsal and then had lunch with the mayor before finishing up our day with some educational workshops. On Thursday I had study abroad and then on Friday and Saturday we had shows. On Friday we had a few alumni join us from my last cast so I was very happy, but I was overwhelmed with tears of joy when on Saturday another 10 alumni showed up. I performed my heart out for them and so did all the  other second semesters. We were all crying by the end as we watched their faces in the front row well up with tears during almost every song. It was one of the greatest feelings ever to hug someone who you’ve been longing to see for months and then all the horrid feelings of saying goodbye 4 months ago rush back when you have to say goodbye again. It was as if we were all in a dream being surrounded by people from Cast A. We were on a cloud and then all of a sudden we would have to pop out of it to be back in Cast B mode. It was a very odd feeling and we were all shocked at how easily we fell back into that comfort and ease of friends and cast mates with everyone. It felt like just yesterday that we had said goodbye. It was wonderful and yet very surreal as well. Also on Saturday we had Expression Session where we shared our talents with one another and let me tell you we are a talented cast! It was super enjoyable and Brekken and I sang a song together where we both almost cried. The end is coming so soon and it is not going to get any easier to say goodbye. I succeeded in my goal and was able to perform “Song of Peace” for the big group of alumni that were there and it felt so good!
            Tomorrow we head to Sweden for two weeks and the second semesters head off for a few days on our own to debrief the last year we had just spent together! It is going to be a whirlwind last 3 weeks and I just hope I am ready for everything that is going to come at me! I can say though that I am so happy to be in Europe right now in this pre- Christmas season! The spirit is all around me!

No comments:

Post a Comment