Monday, March 4, 2013

Week #8 - Vero Beach, Florida


So this week started out with a big ole’ BANG! As a cast we had the wonderful treat of going to DISNEY EPCOT on Monday and visiting all of the different cultures in EPCOT and we shared our cultures with everyone there as well. It was super cool because we went behind the scenes and honestly it felt like we were definitely VIP status! They brought us in before the park was even open through backstage and gave us food in France and little goody bags! We also met many of the young students who work at EPCOT. They are international and come as an exchange to work at EPCOT in their appropriate countries for about a year.  EPCOT was wonderful! One of  my closest friends (Larissa) and I made a video of touring the world in just an hour. I was the tour guide and it was so much fun! We were sweaty and exhausted by the end! Let’s just say after running around the world, we definitely burned off the sushi we ate in Japan! Hopefully a video will be viewable at some point. It was an epic day.
Next it was off to Vero Beach, our last city in the sunny state of Florida. When we arrived in Vero Beach we got our allocation cards and just from reading whom my roommates were going to be and seeing what a big family we were hosted with, I knew the week would be good. My roommates and I made up a very diverse group: Montana (Canada), Raymundo (Mexico), Norman (Belgium), Oscar (Sweden, he was the PR for the city, so he had been with the family for a month already) and me (Wisconsin, USA)! We were hosted with the Littletons but do not let the name deceive you. The week was everything but little. Starting with their family plus us Uppies we had 10 people in the house and by the end of the week they had guests and so we were 18 one night. Bob and Lynn were my host parents and they had 3 and at one point 4 kids home. Noah (18), Pricilla (15) and Paul (12) and then Luke (20) came home for a few nights as well. We had a blast! There was so much to do and it was always a party! Even after returning from a long day of UWP things, there was always room for laughter and fun! We played volleyball, went night time swimming in their pool, had an 8 person Wii “Just Dance” party, played around the world ping pong, UNO, ate delicious dinners and told wonderful stories and laughed until our stomach hurt! The ultimate nights were when we had our wet napkin battles which got super intense! One night that turned into a blow dart wall that raged throughout the house! On host family day we attended their lovely church, played in the pasture and fed bread to the goat (Ezekiel), horse (Fable), cows (Sirloin and Hamburger) and played volleyball. We also made a trip to the beach where we played volleyball and me and a few other Uppies braved the Atlantic Ocean! It was a gorgeous blue color but it was a windy cold day in Florida, but you know me, I had to go in anyway! We had a lovely last supper together and shared our favorite moments from the week and laughed more of course!
This week has been so awesome and I felt so at home. I got to know a few more cast mates even better, both male and female which was nice because I felt more at home with host brothers and sisters. This week was a wonderful relaxing week before we prepare to head to Europe in just 2 weeks. I finally got my voice back to normal for the most part and I am going to try to keep it rested this time around!
            In Up with People this week life was good as always. On Tuesday I got to do workshops for the first time in classrooms and present on Up with People. That was super fun for me, to share my passion for the program and work with high school students. On Wednesday I had study abroad and got a lot done, which made me happy. Also on Wednesday we had another culture fair, but this time I got to learn about everyone else instead of being the one who presented! It was a ton of fun and very interesting. On Thursday I had a community impact day and afterward was invited to  go swimming in the mini pool/waterpark which was at their facility! Awesome and spontaneous! Then on Friday and Saturday we had show days of course… the usual set-up, lots of rehearsal and then the shows. I finally felt the impact that the show had when people stood up during the bully awareness song. It was incredible. On Friday I had a bit a low, actually the whole cast seemed to be having a bum time but we pushed through and on Saturday our vocal instructor John gave the most motivating speech in the Green Room which had most of us crying by the end! It was what we all needed to be lifted up and the night proceeded wonderfully! I worked through some things and I continue to learn more about myself each and everyday! My Up with People experience is already helping me grow and discover more about myself and I am more and more thankful for it everyday!
Tomorrow we leave to Georgia and soon after we depart to another continent! The excitement never ends!! Life is soooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment