Sunday, March 31, 2013

Week #12 - Frauenfeld/Weinfelden, Switzerland


          Well it was a mind boggle for sure to be in the French speaking part of Switzerland for one week and then just a quick 4-hour drive later be in the same country but everyone only speaks German! Europe is so crazy like that. For example this past week I lived in Frauenfeld, Switzerland. I was 25min from Germany, 1.5 hours from France and a quick 30min drive to Austria. I cannot believe how different just that one fact about Europe is from the U.S.
            I started this week fresh and full of my positive energy that got a bit lost in the jumble last week and I was ready for a good week! Manifesting works wonders! I had an amazing week!
We traveled about 4 hours on Monday from Geneva (French side of Switzerland) to Frauenfel (German side of Switzerland). When we got off the buses it was snowing. Lets just say the Mexicans who had never seen snow went a little crazy! This whole week was “split cities”, which means half of the cast is in one city and half is in the other. They are only 20min away from each other, but you don’t meet together everyday unless it is a show day. That also meant we had 2 show days and we had to set-up and strike the set two days in a row in the two separate cities. Fun, fun, fun!! My new roommates were Katy from Wyoming and Sofia from Mexico. We were hosted with a great family. Ursula and Philippe with their 4 children, Fiona (17), Yannick (10), Samira (8) and Lionel (7). They do not start to learn English until 4th grade here so the two youngest children were tough to talk to, but we had tons of fun through non-verbal communication and universal sign language! I definitely learned a bit of German this week even though our host dad was pretty fluent in English.
Tuesday was a study abroad day for me and CI for the rest of the cast. Our meeting place in Frauenfeld was at the Turnfabrik, which is a place where they have gymnastics training! We most definitely had some fun in the foam pits and trampolines etc. I was darn sore the next day from all the worms I did and supermans into the foam pit! We all found our inner child for sure! Our host brother Yannick trains there and he is a fantastic little flipper!
Both Wednesday and Thursday were show days and I was so happy because they were the first show days in a long time that my voice did not feel tired! Yay! I got really good at certain aspects of setting up and striking and I really enjoy it. I feel so accomplished when I can help instruct others on what to do when all the lights and sound stuff is so complicated! I even used a radio  one night to communicate with the people downstairs loading the truck. I don’t even have an internship and yet I was in a complete leadership position. I just learn so much everyday! Our host family loved the show and the kids have been listening to our CD non-stop since they saw it! So adorable!
Then for the first time (and most likely the last time!), we had a 3-day weekend with our host families. That is unheard of in UWP but I think it is what we all needed to recover and rest up for the rest of the tour. It was Easter weekend so everything was closed all weekend (besides Saturday). We were able to have a little extra time to get to know our host families and catch up on rest and “me time”!
 Friday we slept in, went to Good Friday brunch and created a ton of origami cranes with the kids.  In the evening UWP got VIP passes(free of charge) to the only club around that was open on Easter weekend. It goes without saying that  it was a BLAST! Basically we took up the entire dance floor. Not everyone was there, but probably about 70 of us were dancing the night away and sharing drinks all around! I felt like a true adult because I could go out and have a drink at a nice bar before hitting the dance floor in the club.
On Saturday our host family took us to Konstanz, Germany. Yes I am being serious. We parked our car in Switzerland and then walked over the border to Germany to watch the new Disney film “Die Kroods” in German of course. It was rainy and cold and a perfect day for the movies! It was quite interesting to me how I could understand the whole movie just based off the non-verbal communication because I did not understand a lick of the German! We also explored the beautiful buildings of Germany before heading home for a night of cheesy fondue and wine (lots of wine, bread, cheese and chocolate here!) We also all got to paint Easter eggs. It brought me right back homeJ The night ended with a wrestling match between the three of us and the kids! Kids will be kids no matter what culture or language they speak! It is a given! Our host dad is very disappointed in the weather right now because usually this time of year it is gorgeous and sunny and everything is in full bloom. Usually he is swimming in his pool on the first of April. Sounds like my kind of birthday… but alas the pool is still frozen! I will just have to come back and visit!
We awoke on Easter Sunday to the kids barging in our room with a big Easter basket for the 3 of us! How sweet! Then we headed to the gymnastics place again for a multi- UWP host family brunch! We all ended up running around for hours on the equipment and having great fun with each other and our host siblings. Philippe, our host dad also brought us up on the top of a hill to try and see the view through the clouds and snow. It was a gorgeous walk outside but the view was not there due to the weather circumstances. We all spent the day packing (they leave to Spain for 10 days tomorrow) and we leave back to the French part of Switzerland as well! We had a great last dinner and I had a wonderful early birthday surprise! I connected with Ella (one of my closet friends who I have not seen since June and who is in Ecuador right now) on  email chat and was able to Skype with her and see her lovely face! Could not have asked for a better birthday present!  Now it is midnight and just as I thought my host parents had gone to bed they came running into the room  to wish me a happy birthday right on the dot! So sweet!
Time for our last weekend in beautiful, expensive Switzerland! My favorite word that my host dad taught me this week is “sloplicha” which means “goodnight” in Dutch!

No comments:

Post a Comment