Monday, April 29, 2013

Week #16 - Mol, Belgium


           Well this week has been very draining, but also very good. I have come home every night ready to go to sleep at the snap of a finger! We had 3 show days with 4 shows and I had a very energy intensive community service day where I was the crew leader. It has been a very fun, high-energy week. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed every second, I just know I did my best because I left each day feeling vey satisfied and also very tired. My high of the week was receiving the wonderful opportunity to be the Band Intern for the next 5 weeks! I am very excited to learn about all that the band entails and maybe learn how to play some songs on different instruments as well. My low for the week was probably having the realization that we only have 6 weeks left before the semester is over and we will never all be in the same place at the same time ever again. Both moments I had tears in my eyes, of both happiness and sadness.
            This week we arrived in the wonderful country of Belgium, a country that loves UWP and has many alumni of UWP living within its borders. Belgium is also known for and very proud of its beer, chocolate, fries and waffles! All of which I got to try throughout the week! It was another split city week and so half of the cast was in the larger city of Mol and the other half was in Turnout just 20min away.
My new host mom, Ilse, was an alumna of UWP and had two teenage daughters Mindy and Sari who will most likely be in UWP someday as well. I had a great week getting to know them and sharing stories and laughs the whole time. My host mom’s mom and dad live directly next door (they actually share a wall) and they were hosting Miguel from Mexico. So we were pretty much roommates considering we all did everything together besides sleep. I felt very welcome and well taken care of. My host mom new exactly how it felt to be in UWP so she knew exactly what we needed which was wonderful. It was also so fun to be able to bring her back down memory lane as she recalled her year in UWP and watched the show with the biggest smile on her face as she thought about when she was on the stage 25 years ago. It will be hard to say goodbye. On host family day she told me to sleep and later in the evening we met up with another host family and went bowling and  then hit the popular street where everyone goes out  bar hopping!
After travel day on Monday we had CI on Tuesday. I was the crew leader for a group that went to a place called De Witte Mol. It is a care center and place of residence for people with severe mental and physical disabilities. It was definitely a challenge zone for me and many others but we worked through it together and ended up having a great day interacting with the different residents and creating a dance party for them in the after noon. It took a lot of energy to be so positive and present for 6 hours straight with people who may have lost all hope but we did our best and went home very tired.
On Wednesday I had study abroad and I got a chance to explore the city of Mol a bit. It was beautiful and sunny outside and it felt like I was home in the Midwest on a May Day. On Thursday and Friday the cast was reunited for our show days in Mol. Very long days, but of course fulfilling and wonderful. We had a guest speaker come in who had HIV and he talked about his condition and was very informative. We also had the 3rd round internship announcements and I got the Band Internship so I will hopefully be learning a whole lot in the next 5 weeks about the band and how it works within UWP. I am hoping to gain knowledge for my future if I ever sing in a band again. Saturday we had our host family day and then on Sunday we had a big ole double show day. Talk about exhausting!
Now it time to move on to our next city in Belgium! Two more weeks in Europe and then off we fly to Mexico for our last month together in Up with People. Time to live life like it is your last 6 weeks to live! Let’s do it up! YOLO (you only live once!)

No comments:

Post a Comment